Mainpat is a favourable tourist destination. The place is lush green and the romantic dawn and dusk so very enchanting. Manipat is said to be the best honey moon destination. Mainpat is on a plateau with the area surrounded by jungles.The yet to be explored place has beautiful hill slopes, jungles, waterfalls and is a hill station that has not been exploited. There is a Tibetan settlement that offers an excellent opportunity for inter action with them. In fact, Mainpat is also known as ‘Mini Tibet’ because of the settlements. It is also called the Shimla of Sarguja because of what nature has created.
The place is a small village is in Chhattisgarh. Mainpat is known for the Tibetan refugee camps that have come up in the area. There are seven Tibetan settlements in the area. The small village is perched on an altitude of 1000 metres and is the home of tribes like Manjhi Majhwar, Kanwar and Pahadi Korwa. The tribals in the village lead a simple life and are basically farmers. The place became popular when the Tibetan exiles settled here. Mainpat is the most forested area in India.
PLACES TO VISIT
- Dhakpo Monastery: This is a Gelug monastery and unlike all other monasteries, this monastery is small.
- Fish Falls: This waterfall is near the Tibetan camp number 6. This is a beautiful place and a must see place. The place got its name from a particular kind of fish found in the place.
- Tiger Point: This is another waterfall near the Tibetan camp number six and a good place for picnics. There are steps leading to the falls. The other waterfalls are Sarbhanja and Kings Waterfalls. Tiger Point is also the gateway to Mainpat.
- Tibet Refugee Camp: The camp 3 is worth visiting.
- Mehta Point and Pharphatia: These places are good places to view the entire surrounding areas.
- Jaljali: The place is a unique one. Jumping at this place, one can create an earthquake.
- Tatapani: It is in the same district and is famous for the hot water reservoirs.
The place is a haven for trekkers and for people who have the thrill for adventure sports can have a choice of sports like Para sailing, para-gliding, rappelling, mountain climbing, river crossing and tracking.
Mainpat is 178 kms. from Raigarh , which is a major station and the other smaller station is Ambikapur which is 80 kms. away. From Raipur airport it is 380 kms. by road.The railway station is at Ambikapur.
WHEN TO GO AND ACCOMMODATION
The best time to visit Mainpat is in the monsoon and in winter. Mainpat has sufficient accommodation suited for every pocket. There are budget hotels as well as resorts that fit every pocket. There are restaurants in and around the picnic spots. The forest department has a rest house for which permission has to be obtained from the local police office. The travel advisory to all visitors is that they should avoid travel at night.