Mirik is a scenic hill station in the Indian State of West Bengal. Located at an altitude of 1495 m above mean sea level, Mirik is 49 kms from Darjeeling and 52 kms from Siliguri. The highest point is the Boker Monastery at about 1768 m and the lowest point is the Mirik Lake at about 1494 m above mean sea level. The name Mirik literally translates into “place burnt by fire” in the Lepcha language. Mirik was developed as a tourist spot by the state Government of West Bengal in 1974 with the construction of the Sumendu Lake. Today Mirik is a favoured tourist destination just for its sheer natural beauty, ambient climate and the uniqueness one finds appealing here.
- Tourism in Mirik revolves around the Sumendu Lake. It is an artificial lake constructe4d in the year 1974 which is set amidst beautiful garden on one side and pine trees on the other and connected together by an arching 24 m long footbridge known as Indreni Pull meaning Rainbow Bridge. The lake is surrounded by a 3.5 km long road. One can enjoy a boat ride in the lake or take a horse ride around the lake on the peripheral road.
- Tingling View Point is a point from where one can get a 360 degree panaromic view of the tea gardens and the surrounding lush green hills and forests.
- Rameetay Dara is another viewpoint which offers a picturesque view of the surrounding hills and plains.
- Sunrise Point is an important spot in Mirik where one can get to see the sun making an illustrious rise in the east. The sunlight getting reflected from the Mount Kanchanjunga in the north is another spectacle from this spot.
- Bokar Monastery is a Buddhist meditation center located en route Rameetay Dara from Mirik. It is a favoured destination for pilgrims especially Buddhists.
- Debisthan is a Hindu temple located on a small hillock near the Sumendu Lake, which is very much revered by the locals here.
- Tea Gardens at Mirik is definitely offers a pleasing experience. Gazing from a distance or a stroll through the tea gardens is invigorating and pleasing to the eyes. These tea gardens produce some of the best known Darjeeling teas which are very much in demand from all over the world.
- Rai Dhap is a popular picnic spot for the tourists as well as the locals and it is also the source of drinking water for Mirik.
- Orchids in Mirik are one of the best attractions here. The climate here is ambient for the growth of orchids especially the Cymbidium orchids which are very costly and has huge demand from all over the world.
- Orange Orchards in Mirik grow some of the best known high-quality oranges. Places like Mirik Busty, Murmah and Soureni Busty grown these sweet oranges in Mirik.
Summer is very mild in Mirik with the maximum temperature touching just 30°C. Winter in Mirik is cold with the mercury dipping to as low as 1°C.
How to Reach
The nearest airport is Bagdogra at a distance of 52 kms from Mirik. The nearest railhead is New Jalpaiguri at 52 kms from here. By Road, Mirik is well connected with Siliguri and Darjeeling. Shared Taxis is also an option that can be explored from Siliguri and Darjeeling towards Mirik.