Palaruvi fall is a Horse Tail shaped single drop fall which literally means a stream of milk. It is a gem in the beauty of Kollam city. Read on to know more about this gem of Kollam.
Palaruvi fall is located amidst forests near Aryankavu of Kollam district. It is the 32nd highest waterfall of India which is also the 3rd highest waterfall of Kerala. This waterfall is born out of River Kallada. It is believed that the water of this waterfall has ayurvedic healing properties owing to its flow through some natural shrubs. The water here at Palaruvi get collected in a small pool below where one can take a dip and enjoy the mesmerizing nature. One can also spot remnants of ancient mandapam and a stable here near the fall. One needs to trek a path of 5 km through the woods in order to reach the waterfall.
Palaruvi fall is located in Kollam district of Kerala. It is situated at Latitude: 8.961045, Longitude: 77.151089. It is located at a distance of 4 km from Aryankavu.
How to reach
By Rail: Nearest railway station is Kollam and Aryankavu.
By Air: Nearest airport terminal is Thiruvananthapuram International Airport.
Where to stay
One can either stay at KTDC hotel of Aryankavu or Forest Rest House of Achankovi. Private lodging is also available at affordable rates at Kulathupuzha and Achankovi.
Season/When to visit
It is best visited after and during monsoons as the waterfall dries up in summer season.
Water here plunges from a height of 91 m.
Nearby Places to visit
- Aryankavu Shastha Temple: It is the famous temple of Aryankavu where the much celebrated festival of Lord Ayyappa’s Thirkalyanam is seen. It is during this festival time that the temple is crowded with devotees and tourist. A must see place if one has come to Kollam.
- Punalur: It is a town located at a distance of 35 km from Palaruvi. The Palaruvi Hanging Bridge here is located at a distance of 30 km from Palaruvi fall. A much visited place the bridge is a major attraction for tourists. At 10 km distance from Punalur hanging bridge is Arch Old British built Railway Bridge which is also a well known tourist destination.
- Thenmala: It is small beautiful town located at a distance of 15 km from Palaruvi. One can also visit Thenmala Parappar Dam of Thenmala which is well known place visited by tourists.
- Kulathupuzha: It is a village located on the main Thiruvananthapuram-Shencottah Road. Kulathupuzha has an ancient Sastha temple which is located on the banks of Kulathupuzha. The temple enshrines an idol of Bala Sastha in form of Lord Hariharaputra. A festival of Vishnu Mahotsavam is held during the months of April and May. Kulathupuzha Reserve Forest is another tourist attraction of this village.
- Thangassery: It is situated at a distance of 5 km from the town of Kollam. Thangassery is place of historical significance as it houses many old churches which were establishes in the 18th century. Thangassery also has a 144 ft high lighthouse that was constructed in 1902.