Sissu Falls is on a diversion on the road from Leh to Manali in Lahaul and Spiti District, Himachal Pradesh. The falls is about 20 minutes drive from the diversion on the road. It is near the village of Gramphu, which is near Manali. The place is magnificent with dense green vegetation and beautiful scenery. The falls can be seen from the road to Manali and visitors are attracted to this place by the beauty surrounding the falls. The source of water is the suspended glaciers on the Himalayan range.
This falls has a drop of about 50 metres and is considered by travelers as one of the best falls in the Himalayan region.
PLACES TO VISIT:
- Sissu Lake: This lake is about 1 km. from Sissu Village. The lake is one placid place and a beautiful one.
- Sissu Village: The village also known as Khagling is on the banks of River Chandra. This is a quaint little village and is surrounded by mountains. The Gyephang peak is visible from this village
- Gyephang Temple: This is a temple atop the peak. The people believe that Lord Gyephang is the savior of the people in Lahaul Valley. People from outside the valley are not allowed in to the temple.
- Gramphu: This is a beautiful village and a stopover for visitors travelling to Spiti on one side and to Manali from Lahaul and Spiti.
- Keylong: This district headquarters is famous for the Kardang Monastery which belongs to the Drukpa sect of Tibetan Buddhism. There are other monasteries here like the Tayul and Shasur monasteries. There is an old temple in this place.
- Rohtang Pass: This is a wonderful pass maintained by the Indian Army and a strategically important road. It is accessible only from June till October. It is closed otherwise due to heavy snowfall and landslides during monsoons. This pass is on the Manali / Keylong road and is 51 kms. from Manali.
- Gondla: Situated on the banks of Chandra River, this village is set amidst nature with its ethnic beauty. The village has a royal house belonging to the Thakur of Gondla which is eight storied. The best time to visit is in July when there is a fair which attracts tourists.
Sissu village is one great camping site set in an area surrounded with beauty of the mountains. Trekking is yet another activity in this place.
Sissu village is 107 kms. from Naggar. Manali is 82 kms. from Sissu. Leh is about 210 kms. away. Bhunter is where the nearest airport is and is just 137 kms. away. Kulu is 127 kms. from Sissu. New Deli is 631 kms. from Sissu. The nearest railway station is in Ahju, which is 262 kms. away.
WHEN TO GO
The falls is best visited during the months from June till October. The climate is pleasant at that time of the year. Winters are very harsh and travelling between places will be near impossible. The same goes during monsoons. There will be heavy landslides and the passes will be next to impossible to negotiate.
There are no good hotels in the vicinity of the waterfall. The best choice is to book rooms in Manali and travel to places nearby. There are some hotels in Sussu also.