Chhattisgarh state has had a very old civilization in a comparatively new state. Chirimiri is situated in the district of Koriya. The district was a princely state under the British rule and it became an independent district in 1998.
PLACES TO SEE
For the pilgrims, Chirimiri and places nearby offers temples like:
- The Lord Jagannath Temple: This temple was built by the workers from Puri and is the replica of the Puri Jagannath Temple.
- Kalibadi: The temple is in Haldibadi. It is on a hill and only 1 km. from the main station.
- Baigapara: is in the place called Bartunga. The temple is a sakthi peeth dedicated to Goddess Kali.
- Gufa Mandir: Located in Godaripara
- Maha Maya Temple in Ratanpur: It is one of the 52 Shakthi Peeths, in India. The temple is dedicated to the deities Goddess Lakshmi and Goddess Saraswathi. The temple was built by the Kalachuri King Ratnadev in the 12-13th century. The King Ratnadev was the founder of the Haihaiyavansi Kingdom. The architecture is of the Nagara art, facing north with a big water tank. There is a Shiva and Hanuman temple on the premises. There is a temple dedicated to Kantideval, the oldest temple, built in 1039 said to be constructed by an ascetic known as Santhosh Giri. The temple is guarded by Kalabhairava residing in another temple on the approach road. There are ruins of an 11th century Kadaeideol Shiva temple on a hill top near a fort.
- Amrit Dhara waterfalls are in Manendragarh. The distance from Chirimiri is about 38 kms. there is a famous Shiva temple in Sidh Baba mount, near the water falls. The Maharajah Ramanuj Pratap Singh Judeo who ruled during the period started a fair in 1936 near the temple and is still being carried on there. Apart from being a famous water fall, the place is used for picnics by the locals.
- Hasdeo River: The local authority has developed the banks of the river and now this is a preferred picnic spot.
HOW TO GET THERE
Chirimiri has a small railway station. There is a direct rail link with Bilaspur. The major railhead is in Bhopal. Chirimiri is well connected by road from Bilaspur which is 238 kms. The distance from Bhopal is 654 kms.The place is situated on hills and the populace is scattered on the hills. There are dense forests in between. Accommodation is available in Annupur, Kotma and Ambikapur, which are within distance of Chirimiri.
BEST TIME TO VISIT
Chirimiri can be visited any time of the year. The best time will be after the monsoons. Generally, the climate will be pleasant from October to April; and that can be the best time. The summer will be warm. Being a hill station, it will be advisable to carry light woollen clothes during the period between October and April.